Admission Requirements for all Music Degree Programs
Students wishing to pursue degree programs in the Department of Music must adhere to the following criteria for admission:
- Fulfill general admission guidelines found in this catalog for the university, school and department.
- Perform and pass an audition, in person or through electronic media, for members of the faculty. The student, through this audition, must exhibit the standards and skill sets* required for entry into the Department of Music, including:
- The ability to read and interpret standard musical notation.
- The ability to produce an acceptable tone quality on one’s instrument or voice commensurate with entrance into the liberal arts program, the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or one of two professional degree programs, the Bachelor of Music (B.M.) or the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) at the collegiate level.
- The ability to accurately perform basic fundamentals associated with one’s instrument or voice, such as:
- clear and focused tone quality;
- a clear and precise rhythmic concept
- an understanding of the interpretation of musical line;
- acceptable intonation;
- an understanding of the appropriate style of the selection; and,
- clear and precise articulation/diction.
- The ability to accurately perform repertoire on one’s instrument or voice commensurate with entrance into a liberal arts (B.A.) or professional degree program (B.M. or B.S.) at the collegiate level.
- * Complete and pass an interview for acceptance into the professional degree programs of BM-Audio & Music Production and BS-Music Education.
- Take and receive a passing score on a sight singing/ear training examination. (This examination will be used for entrance.)
- Take a music theory placement examination. (This examination is for placement only.)
Click on any of the degree programs below to view specific audition requirements by instrument:
Bachelor of Arts in Music and Minor in Music
Bachelor of Science in Music Education
Bachelor of Music: Performance Option (Vocal and Instrumental)
Bachelor of Music: Jazz Studies Option
Bachelor of Music: Audio and Music Production Option
All students wishing to transfer into any degree program in music at WCSU must meet the criteria listed above, including those currently attending institutions holding articulation agreements with WCSU. All transfer applicants will be assessed in the areas of applied music, keyboard competency, music history, music theory, and sight-singing/ear-training to determine eligibility for matriculation as well as for transfer credits that may be accepted in individual coursework. Please click here for more information regarding credit-transfer to WCSU.
Audition Date for Fall 2019 entry
Audition check in is at 8:15 am
December 14, 2019
January 25, 2020
February 8, 2020
February 22, 2020
March 7, 2020
Click HERE to schedule your audition!