The 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) became available on October 1, 2018. To qualify for priority financial aid consideration, you must have a processed and valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment on or before March 1. It is recommended that you submit your FAFSA as early as possible in order to meet this priority date. Be advised that it takes 3-5 business days for your FAFSA to be processed and received by Western.
How to Apply
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov using Western’s federal school code: 001380
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool available on FAFSA to ensure accurate and timely processing of your financial aid application.
- 2017 income information should be used to complete your 2019-2020 FAFSA.
- Any discrepancies in income information between award years may result in adjustments to prior awards and, in some cases, a balance due to the Cashier’s Office.
Next Steps: Verification
- Additional information may be requested of you if selected for a process called Verification by the U.S. Department of Education. If you are selected, you will receive an introductory email from Inceptia to the email address you provided on your FAFSA.
- If not previously used, you may be asked to update your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the application.
- Students whose FAFSA application was not selected for verification, but may require additional information to proceed with processing, may receive information directly from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please do not submit additional documents unless they are requested.
Financial Aid Award Offer
Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and be enrolled for the subsequent term.
- Award notifications are sent to your Western email account.
- Follow the instructions provided to accept or decline your financial aid offer.
- Financial aid offers are made based on the availability of funding at the time of packaging.
- Should you accept any portion of a federal student loan, you will be required to complete additional requirements, if not completed previously.
- Make note of specific award messages.
- Use this Quick Reference Guide for assistance.
Additional Financing Options
Federal Direct Student Loans are automatically awarded to students in their maximum eligible amounts. If there are additional financing needs, the following options are available:
- Parent PLUS Loans are available to parent of dependent students at studentloans.gov. Parent PLUS Loan applications for 2019-2020 is now available. In order to apply, a valid FAFSA for the student must be on file.
- Private Educational Loans are also available. A listing of private loans and lenders can be accessed at elmselect.com.
NOTE: Any aid awarded to a student is contingent upon WCSU receiving federal and/or state funds.
Student awards may be adjusted with the receipt of new financial information during the academic year, or in accordance with the student’s enrollment status as of the Enrollment Freeze Date. Financial aid is awarded to matriculated students who are registered at least half-time (6 credit hours). For more information concerning the above process or any related questions, please call our office at 203-837-8580.